Assistant Professor in-Residence
Digital Game Design | Storrs
Education: MS in Human Computer Interaction, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
BS in Electronic Media, Arts, and Communication, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
BS in Management, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Areas of Research/Artistic Focus: Game Development, Virtual Reality, Games for Change
Ken worked in the game industry for eight years as a Game Designer and Lead Designer before coming to the University of Connecticut. His responsibilities included directing game projects from start to finish, programming unique scenarios using game development tools, and working with publishers such as SEGA, Electronic Arts, and Activision. He has worked with Blockbuster franchises such as Iron Man, Spider-Man, Captain America, Madagascar, Shrek, and over a dozen others. His work in the video game industry has received Nickelodeon’s Kids Choice Award for best video game, Indie Game of the Year, and Innovation Awards from industry publications. He works with students on creating engaging gameplay experiences and pushing the boundaries of play.
Recent Research Achievements:
- PI – Courtroom 600: A New Approach to 3D Modelling of Historical Sites for the Creation of Educational Virtual Reality Experiences (NEH, National Endowment for the Humanities)
- Co-PI – Virtual Transportation as a strategy to reduce resistance to cigarette & e cigarette graphic health warnings in adolescents & young adults, Funding Agency: National Institute of Health (NIH, National Institute of Health)
- Co-PI – Independent Science Learning through Serious Games with Expert Avatars and Complementary Stories (NSF, National Science Foundation, Phase II)
- Developer – Independent Science Learning through Serious Games with Expert Avatars and Complementary Stories (NSF, National Science Foundation, Phase I)
- Co-PI– Independent Science Learning through Serious Games with Expert Avatars and Complementary Stories Virtual Reality Integration (Connecticut Small Business Acceleration and Commercialization Program).