Brooke Foti Gemmell
Digital Culture, Learning, and Advocacy | Storrs
Hometown: Southington, CT, USA
UConn location: Greenhouse Studios, Homer Babbidge Library Level 1
M.A. in Digital Media & Design
Education: B.F.A. in Studio Art, University of Connecticut, 2015
Area of Research / Artistic Focus: Digital Scholarship and Publishing
Brooke Foti Gemmell is an accomplished and award-winning artist and designer, having had work featured internationally in exhibitions, publications, permanent installations, and private collections. She is currently pursuing her MA in Digital Media & Design from UConn’s School of Fine Arts, where she also earned her BFA in Studio Art with studies in Photography, Video Art & Communication Design and a Minor in Digital Arts. Brooke also studied Graphic Design at Central Saint Martins in London.
She was previously a Hilla Rebay Fellow in Trinity College’s Studio Art Department in Hartford, CT, where she coordinated programming for the Broad Street Gallery and opened her first solo book exhibit, entitled Long Road Home. Before taking on the role of Greenhouse Studio
s Design Technologist, Brooke worked as an Assistant Archivist for the U. Roberto (Robin) Romano Papers
at UConn’s Archives & Special Collections Department, and co-curated the collection’s multi-media exhibition, Lifting the Veil: A Photographic Archive of Child Labor in Light Manufacturing
for UConn’s Business & Human Rights Initiative.
She has since been parked at the intersection of design, information, and academia; with a talent for solving visual problems and creating engaging resources for users, Brooke has developed the branding of several projects and businesses, and continues to guide the visual identity of Greenhouse Studios and its projects as a Design Technologist.
A lifelong equestrian, Brooke also serves in leadership roles of two New England equestrian non-profit organizations, manages the marketing of an award-winning horse training facility in central Connecticut, and is a published equine artist & photographer.
– Selections from Long Road Home, solo show, Summer 2018.
– Lifting the Veil: A Photographic Archive of Child Labor in Light Manufacturing, co-curator, Fall 2017.
– “Igor’s Dream,” Beer Fermentor Mural at Two Roads Brewery in Stratford CT.
– Provost’s Collection (UConn)
– Private Collection of Pascal Fouché (Paris)
Greenhouse Studios Projects:
– Husky ReView
– Augmented Reality experience in development
– By Our Love – Animation in production
– Digital Scholarship and Pedagogy in the Liberal Arts, Connecticut College, November 2018 – Panelist
– CT Digital Archive, Hartford Public Library, Spring 2018 – Presenter
– d’Archive Radio Show, Episode 6 – Guest
Industry Experience: Currently working as a design technologist at Greenhouse Studios
Fun Fact: I just won a National Championship horseback riding title with my horse, Kaz, in August!