As its name implies, Digital Media requires the use of a variety of technologies. Students enrolled in any Digital Media course will be required to own a suitable portable computer for use in- and outside of class. Digital animation, video production, and most types of digital media require more robust systems than those used for simple web browsing and word processing.
Following are the current laptop specifications we recommend for either an Apple or PC.
- 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
- 16 GB RAM
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 940MX 2GB GDDR5, Intel Iris Pro Graphics, or better
- 1 TB Hard Drive
- 802.11 b,g,n wireless
- One 3.0 port recommended
- USB external hard drive of 1 TB or more
- Suggest a minimum screen size of 15” – larger than 15” is even better when viewing fine details
- Ability to run Windows 10 (64 bit)
- Anti-virus software (Please refer to: http://antivirus.uconn.edu/studentspersonal.html)
- 3 year on-site warranty service (this is critical)
- Insurance coverage for both damage and theft (strongly suggested)
- In addition to the above, the following are required for Apple laptops:
- Boot Camp
- Operating System: MacOS Sierra or newer
- Hard Drive Space: 500 gb or more to accommodate dual partitions
All University of Connecticut students also have full access to Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows and the Microsoft Dreamspark Premium platform. All of these resources are delivered through http://onthehub.uconn.edu.
Adobe Creative Cloud
The Digital Media and Design program, through a university-wide licensing agreement with Adobe, is able to provide DMD majors with free access to Adobe’s Creative Cloud Suite while enrolled at UConn.
Laptop Specifications for Digital Media and Design Updated: 9-15-16